Member Type: Advocates
Admission to Society: 2007
Postgraduate Diploma in Labour Law (UJ)
LL.M in Banking Law (UJ)
Areas of Practice: Mainly commercial litigation, including banking, construction, company, insolvency and property.
Exposure to predominantly civil litigation and labour matters, as well as the odd criminal matter, whilst undergoing articles of clerkship and practising as an Attorney at Wandrag & Marais Inc from 2002 until called to the Bar in 2007. Admitted as an Attorney in 2004.
Early years at the Bar included experience in a wide spectrum of matters, ranging from Family and Criminal Law to Labour Law, personal injury and defamation matters.
During recent years his practice has become more focused on construction, banking, company, insolvency and property related matters. Gian acts as arbitrator in commercial disputes under the auspices of the Arbitration Foundation of Southern Africa.
Gian has recently acquired a Master’s degree which included courses in line with his current areas of practice. The emphasis of these courses was on credit, guarantees, letters of credit, corporate insolvency – including business rescue, and other banking and construction related topics. His dissertation, under supervision of Professor JM Otto, is titled “Reinstatement or Revival of a Credit Agreement in terms of the National Credit Act”. His case note “Banks Beware: Reinstatement of mortgage loan agreements” was published in De Rebus (July 2016, p 52).
Reported and Noteworthy Cases:
- Antonie v Slatter 2012 JDR 0957 (GSJ) (11 August 2011)
- Antonie v Slatter (30944/08)  ZAGPJHC 90 (11 May 2012)
- ABSA Bank Ltd v Morrison and Others 2013 (5) SA 199 (GSJ)
- Pienaar v Gmeiner 2013 JDR 0758 (GSJ)
- Snap Shop Investments 1465 CC v Centre for Autism Research and Education 2014 JDR 2047 (GJ); (21618/2013)  ZAGPJHC 227 (19 September 2014)
- Vela v Rainbow Shuttle Services CC 2014 JDR 2632 (GJ); (26955/14)  ZAGPJHC 359 (3 December 2014)
- Group Five Construction (Pty) Limited and others v Member of the Executive Council for Public Transport, Roads and Works, Gauteng and others (Lombard Insurance Company Limited as third party)  2 All SA 716 (GJ); 2015 (5) SA 36 (GJ)
- Sheriff of Johannesburg North and another v Yellow Dot Property Investments and another; In re: Absa Bank Limited v Van den Berg  2 All SA 927 (GJ)